21 February 2012


“STAND ON OUR OWN THE COMPANY IS BETTER ”

I draw an admiring breath at the black and white photo in front of me, that image of coolness immortalised in man.
My male friend hovers over my shoulder spilling a trail of beer down my back.
“what you looking at then?”
I offer him the photo , and the threat.
A flash of vulnerability crosses his face like an incision, I can see thoughts of his that remain unspoken
“ I wish I was cool as that”
He quickly recovers himself .
“ What has he got I haven’t then?
The question hangs in the air suspended out of reach from the answer.
There’s no formula to being cool; it slides away like a smudge when we try and read the rules set by the cool person ahead destined to finish life memorable.
Being cool is a lifetime’s ambition for those of us that don’t want to pass through existence in social inertia. It’s for pioneers with new ideas that give popular culture a consciousness. David Bailey, Mr Warhol, The world at war when Lennon was sitting in in his bed, we will remember you long after you are dead.
Being cool is a pursuit for individuals that think dreams are for making and opportunities are for taking and for those that eschew ordinariness.
It’s an awkward quality to define but a truthful expression of ones self. Cool people act without acting, and shape social worlds without changing. Dangerous, beautiful, loners these engimatic creatures need no one but attract everyone.
“Live life with ease “ says a cool man to an ordinary man. Listen to that internal voice that believes your the best and make a meteoric leap towards greatness.
“and do it with style” says Coco Chanel.

No comments:

Post a Comment